Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Donating Hair for Wigs


After having Warren my hair starting coming out at a rapid rate (as expected) and that combined with the Texas heat made me decide it was time for a change. After asking a fabulous hair stylist friend and polling a few friends I decided to go with a textured bob that falls at my shoulders.
After examining my potential new cut, I realized I would be chopping off a little over 11 inches so I decided to donate it!
For those of you that are unfamiliar with the concept, if you have hair that isn't dyed or gray and you're willing to cut off 8+ inches you can donate it to a place that makes wigs for women and kids with cancer!
There are a few different options, the most well known is Locks for Love. Unfortunately with Locks for Love you have to have at least 10 inches to donate and even worse- they charge people for the wigs they make! 
Another option (and the one I went with) is Pantene's Beautiful Lenghts. Pantene has a website (here) where it explains what they do and the hair they take. They are the first company to offer FREE wigs to cancer patients and they take pony tails as short as 8 inches! 
After I decided to go with them, I snapped a before picture:
And headed to the salon!

By the way, in the future I highly recommend you all choose the closest salon that offers scalp massages and wine. 

Heaven.
 
After explaining my desire to donate hair my stylist, Amy, cut my hair accordingly and gave me my pony tail to mail off! Don't be deterred if your salon doesn't mail hair out, it's super easy! You just make sure the hair is secured by a rubber band and dry, put it in a ziplock bag and then you're ready to put it in a mailing envelop and ship it to:
Pantene Beautiful Lenghts 
Attn: 192-123
806 SE 18th Ave
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Then you get to go home with a great new do, and a smile, knowing you helped someone affected by cancer get a new wig! 

Baby feet no longer tangle up in my hair during play time!





2 comments:

Jkrupsky said...

Adorable!! I'm surprised you were able to make it five months! I got mine chopped off the first time I leaned over to change a dirty diaper and my hair fell into the diaper!!

Unknown said...

Hahaha somehow I managed to keep my hair baby-poop free! It just gets yanked on and used as reigns when I'm carrying Warren!